This brinjal gothsu recipe,I learnt from my MIL, my hubby like this coz brinjal is in ground form in this.
- Brinjal - 5-6 nos
- Tamarind - Small berry size
- Small onion - 14-16 nos
- Curry leaves - 1 spring
- Coriander leaves - For garnishing
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - as needed
- Sesame oil - 1 tblsp
- Dry coriander - 1 tblsp
- Red chillies - 5-6 nos.
- Mustard,Urad dal,channa dal - Each 1 tsp
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Asafoetida –1/4 tsp
- Cut brinjal into pieces and boil them in enough of water till it gets cookked.
- Drain the water and keep aside for cooling
- Meanwhile chop the onions finely.
- Soak tamarind in water and extract tamarind juice.
- Heat kadai and roast the red chillies and coriander seeds till aroma rises and keep aside for cooling.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil to kadai and add all the tempering items followed by curry leaves and onion.
- Fry till onion turns transparent.
- Add a cup of water,salt ,turmeric powder and the tamarind extract, boil for 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile,Grind the roast chillies and coriander seeds to fine powder,keep aside.
- Grind the cooked brinjal to a paste and add it to the boiling water,stir well.
- Add some more water if needed and bring to boil.
- Lastly add the ground masala powder,and boil till a sambhar consistency reaches.
- Just before serving add the sesame oil and mix well.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with Idlies or dosas!!!!