Killu Adai (Pinched rice rotis with toordhal)
This is a recipe which my mother learnt from her mother and my mother used to make, when I was young. She says,this is one of the dish, in those days the house wives used to do with all of the ladies in the house helping in this one.
Yes,those days...people used to live as a joint family and every lady member in the house will share the house works.So this recipe was easier to make for them.
As the name indicates,the rotis were made and pinched with hands to small pieces..sitting and chatting in the evenings,they enjoyed doing this.But I din't do that ..I chopped with knife:)
So this is how I made this dish:
- Rice(I used ponni par-boiled rice) - 1 cup
- Toor dal - 1/ cup
- Small onions - 3/4 cup chopped
- Jeera/cumin seed - 1 1/2 tsp
- Green chillies - 3-4 chopped
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Coconut grated - 2-3 tblsp
- Salt as needed
- Mustard - 1 tsp
- Coconut oil - 1 tblsp
- Pressure cook toor dal with enough water for only one whistle and drain the water,keep aside(Cook in lowest flame and only for one whistle!)
- Soak rice for atleast 3 hours and grind with little water and salt, to a fine paste.
- Heat a heavy bottomed vessel,with the rice batter and keep stirring in low flame,till it reaches just a dough consistency(Non sticky)(No need that it should get cooked)
- Knead the dough with your hands and make rotis over a greased surface.
- Transfer to a hot tava and cook both sides.
- While cooking sprinkle some water, to make it soft and to get cooked easily.
- Repeat for all rotis,the same procedure and let it cool for some time.
- Meanwhile,chop the onions and green chilles and crush the jeera/cumin seeds and keep a side.
- Chop the cooled rotis into small pieces as shown in picture and keep a side.
- Heat a broad kadai and add the coconut oil.Add mustard,followed by green chillies and curry leaves.Then add the chopped onions.
- Fry till golden brown and then add crushed jeera,followed by the chopped rotis.
- Fry for 2 minutes with 2 pinches of salt and a little water sprinkled.
- Add the cooked dal and mix well in low flame.
- Lastly add the grated coconut and little more coconut oil,mix well.Fry for a minute in high flame.
- Serve hot!Will taste divine with rice,dhal and coconut oil combi!!