Hello everybody! Hope you had a great start in this year 2008 .
Here is the way I made aloo paratha today..And I know all of you know very well to make this one,yet for my future reference and those who don't know before…, I am posting this one!
For me Aloo paratha means it has to be thin and soft, with the stuffing blended well with the dough. This is the way I learnt from my friend (Sangeeta) and I always make this way. For all stuffed parathas, the key is to have the dough and stuffing in same consistency. If the dough is very tight and tough, the stuffing will ooze out. And even if the stuffing is gooey or watery, the paratha will become sticky and hard to roll.
Ingredients : Makes approx 8 parathas.
|Wheat flour||1 cup|
|Oil (optional)||1 tsp- 1 tblsp|
|Salt & warm water/milk||As needed|
Knead dough to a non-sticky consistency similar to how we prepare for chapattis and keep for some 15 - 30 minutes.
|Boiled and mashed potatoes||3 large|
|Coriander leaves||2-3 tblsp|
|Green chilies||4-5 nos.|
- Make equal sized balls out of the dough and the stuffing.
- Roll the dough ball to a thick,palm sized circle.
- Keep the stuffing in the middle and cover it from all sides towards the middle and press to a patty.
- Dust the platform with flour and roll as thin as possible so that the dough covers the stuffing as a thin layer. Here is a video to help.
- Heat tawa and cook the parathas both sides in medium low flame,add oil as needed,till golden brown spots appear. If needed, press the parathas gently with the spatula to ensure even cooking.
Tip : Roll and cook side by side the parathas. Do not roll and keep as it may become sticky or soggy.
Side dish for Aloo paratha
Tomato Garlic Chutney
(Picture Updated on 17/7/’11)
This is very simple to make and it can be a good side dish for aloo,methi parathas! Also I would recommend this chutney because,the garlic in this chutney nullifies/neutralizes the gastric properties of aloo,so good for health chutney . This is a treat for garlic flavour loving people and perfect for all sort of parathas/stuffed and plain. Try this,you will be amazed!
|Tomato||2 big (ripe)|
|Garlic||10 – 12 flakes|
|Sesame oil||1/8 Cup + 2 tblsp|
- Chop the tomatoes roughly, peel and Crush the garlic little.Grind the tomatoes in a mixer to a smooth paste without adding water.and then add this to the ground tomato and again run 2-3 times (use Juice/inch option),taking care to not to grind it smooth..Garlic should be visible as little little bits.
- Heat the gingelly oil(nallennai),preferably in a flat broad pan...really really hot,till it fumes.Add the ground mixture and stir well. Let it boil only for a minute and by this time the colour would have changed and the oil should have separated.
- Put off the stove and transfer to the serving bowl!
Technorati Tags: Aloo Paratha recipe,Aloo paratha step by step,Side dish for aloo paratha,tomato chutney for aloo paratha,tomato garlic chutney for parathas
I am sending this chutney to Sunita's Monthly Spice event, This time Think Spice : Think Garlic...!
I also tried a Korma form Lavanyaa's cookery corner..Even though I dint get her korma colour...I think I will get it right next time! It was very nice...! Here's a picture of that one to share with you all!