I am used to home made ghee..from my childhood....And my mother,MIL makes ghee from butter...we don't buy ghee..Instead we buy butter and make ghee at home. Here in Singapore we get amul butter..I have tried Avin butter in Chennai.So here's the way I make Ghee(clarified butter), from store bought butter.
- Take out the butter from freezer and let it be in the room temperature for atleast half-an-hour.
- Take a heavy bottomed vessel,which should be large and broad enough.
- Heat the butter in the vessel in a medium flame.I always do the whole process in medium or may be medium low flame,to avoid any burning,with stirring every 3 minutes or so.
- At one stage the butter will be completely melt and after that the butter boils with a sound.
- And after that in a very few minutes the sound will be ceasing and this is the time to be careful.
- The ghee starts raising and becomes frothy.
- And when it starts to raise, keep some curry leaves ready and dip it in buttermilk and add it to the ghee. And switch off the flame. Keep stirring to avoid over flowing. If you are afraid it will just you can keep off the stove. Otherwise let it be in the stove(flame off).
- Add a pinch of rock salt to make the residues settle down.You can even add two three sprigs of drumstick leaves or curry leaves ...just like my mother,MIL ...they say it make the ghee more flavourful.Or even a drop of curd or buttermilk.
- Now drain the ghee carefully into the ghee container,without the residue.
Here is a video to clearly see the stages.
The ghee will become like this as shown in the picture,after a day.