For Vinayagar chadurthi as every year this year too I made kozhukattai...And this is the method I follow.... A simple way ...that never fails for the outer layer...
INGREDIENTS FOR OUTER LAYER
|Idiyappam flour||1 cup|
|Water||1 &1/3 cup,or as needed|
|Sesame oil||1 tsp|
Yes, the readymade idiyappam flour available at grocery stores is the handy and best for the kozhukattai outer layer..and the result is a very soft kozhukatais.
- Boil water with oil(add salt if the flour doesn't have salt in it..mine had salt in it so I dint add any salt)
- Take the flour in a broad vessel.
- Add the boiling water little by little and mix with the help of a ladle.
- Let it cool for about 5 min ,it may be warm, still knead with your hands to make a smooth dough.The consistency should be like our chapatti dough...non sticky..
- Keep covered till you use to prevent drying.
Pooranam for modak : Click HereVIDEO FOR MAKING MODAK SHAPE
- Make small lemon sized balls with the prepared dough.For each step or when ever needed grease your hands with sesame oil.
- Make the stuffing also same sized balls.I am showing with sweet pooranam(stuffing).Take a dough ball and start flattening the ball with your fingers around he sides as shown in the picture.
- Then continue towards the centre of the ball so that you make a bowl shape as shown in the picture.Then keep the stuffing inside.
- Fold and seal it as shown in the picture.Fold the sealed part towards inside with the tip of your for finger to decorate it.Refer the second video to see how to fold + seal the edges.
- Now follow the procedure to make some 8 and arrange it in a idly plate as shown or in a steamer and steam cook for 10 - 12 minutes.Now carefully take it out from the idly plate and your kozhukattais are ready!
- You can also make modaka shape kozhukattais ,refer the first video.
NOTE: To check if the kozhukattais are done : The outer layer would have changed shiny.
There are various methods of making stuffing for this, like in sweet with coconut jaggery and channa dal,or with sesame seeds instead of channa dal, and salt version with urad dal.