TOMATO,ONION KOTHSU SARAVANA BHAVAN STYLE
Easy to make,but a yummy,tangy side dish that goes well with IdlI,dosa and rotis also! (Updated picture,I have used red chilli powder instead of green chillies)
|Red ripe tomatoes||3-4 nos. large|
|Onion||2 nos. medium|
|Green chillies Or replace with a tsp of red chilli powder for attractive colour !||4-5 nos|
|Curry leaves||1 sprig|
|Coriander leaves||For garnishing|
|mustard||For tempering 1tsp|
|Urad dal||For tempering 1 tsp|
|oil||For tempering 2 tsp|
- Chop onions and tomatoes finely and slit the green chillies into two.
- Heat a kadai/heavy bottomed vessel with oil and when oil is hot add the tempering items followed by curry leaves,green chillies and onion.
- Fry till onion becomes slightly pinkish / transparent.
Add chopped tomatoes and required salt and keep sauteing,till it becomes mushy.
- Fry in medium flame for 5-6 minutes and then add 1/4 cup water and bring to boil.Simmer for few minutes to form a thick gravy consistency.
- Transfer to serving bowl and enjoy with idly,dosa or rotis!
- Always add less water.
- Add a tsp of ghee while frying for enhanced taste.
- Can use red chilli powder also instead od green chillies...for the ingredients given here..1 tsp red chilli powder will be approx. enough.
- Colour purely depends on the colour of the tomatoes, so use red ripe tomatoes and chilli powder if you want to get the colour as it is there in the first two updated pictures.