|Keerai /spinach||1 bunch|
|Toor dal||1/2 cup|
|Sambhar powder||1 & 1/2 tsp|
|Tamarind||1 gooseberry sized|
|Small onion||12-15 nos.|
|Green/red chilies||4-5 nos.|
|Oil||1 1/2 tsp|
|Fenugreek seeds||1/4 tsp|
- Pressure cook toor dal,keep aside and extract tamarind juice.Peel of small onions and slit green chilies.
- Clean the keerai by washing it well 2-3 times and chop it...not too fine.Heat a kadai with oil and add the items under To Temper table in order.Then add onions and green chillies and fry till onions turn golden brown.
- Add this to the tamarind extract,with salt,turmeric and sambar powder and bring to boil.(Add required water).
- After 2 minutes add the chopped keerai,and turn the keerai so that it gets immersed .
- Boil till keerai gets cooked,check the stem for doneness.
- Lastly add toor dal and boil for 2 minutes and now keerai sambhar is ready!
Serve with rice and ghee on top of it..
- We can use any variety of keerai...
- I have used the stem too,you can use leaves alone..
- Water should be added carefully-very less,since this sambar should be bit thicker in consistency than our usual sambars.