I don't know how exactly people call this in English...I think its called elephant yam .Its smaller in size like potatoes...Here's the picture...
This kizhangu have a tendency to give you a itchy feeling in your tongue,when eaten.But proper cooking removes that tendency...My mother,MIL says...buy this and keep it for @least 2 weeks before cooking,which also helps.When we are cooking , we have to use correct proportion of lemon juice/tamarind extract.
But its very good for our health...like its good for curing loss of appetite,bleeding piles,constipation....So here's the recipe.
|Pidi karunai kizhangu||8-10 nos.|
|Lemon/lime juice||1 1/2 tsp|
|Green chillie||4-5 nos.|
|Grated coconut||3 tblsp|
|Urad dal||1 tsp|
|Curry leaves||1 sprig|
|Coconut oil||(Optional)1/2 tsp|
- Pressure cook the kizhangu upto 3 whistles.Cool down and peel off the skin and mash it with your hands.
- Add salt and lime juice and mix well,check for salt and keep aside.
- Chop the green chillies and onion.
- Heat a kadai and add oil,when hot add mustard,when it splutters,add urad dal, followed by curry leaves,green chillies and onion.
- Fry till onion turns transparent and light pink.
- Add the mashed kizhangu, kept aside.
- Fry till moisture evaporates...May take little long time...
- Lastly add coconut oil(If using) and grated coconut and mix well.
- Now transfer to the serving bowl!Its ready as an accompaniment for rice !
Now MEME that I kept pending for almost a month...,raaji as I told you this is just for you!!
7 Facts about me:
- I am a food lover,as I grew eating hot hot ,my mom's delicious cooking....still I hate to eat my own cooking .
- I have interest in music,I wish I could sing like Hariharan.....but I can still only enjoy his voice
- I can draw,paint a little...but now out of touch...
- I have interest to play badminton,volley ball....casually though I am not a champion in these games...just for fun
- I am very sensitive person,I cannot see any body ill,my darlings (hubby and my son) or my close relations,suffering ...even a cold.....
- I like to chat a lot...when I find time I will either call my friend sangeeta or call my parents,in-laws or any other relatives....so that my feels light.
- I sometimes feel to spend my free time ,something useful,like learning something....driving,photography.....but my laziness wins !!!!