(Picture updated)(December 1,2009)
|Wheat flour||1 cup|
|Rice flour||2 tblsp|
|Jaggery||1/2 cup to 3/4 cup|
|Banana||1 small(mashed well)|
|Cooking soda||A pinch|
|Salt||A big pinch|
2. The consistency should be thick like vada batter.
3. Heat oil in kadai ,when hot,pour the batter with help of a ladle. Perfect heat of oil can be known by,as you pour the batter,appam should not settle down,but should come up
4. Keep in low medium flame when you cook to ensure even cooking,without burning. Fry till golden brown and drain from oil to kitchen towel and enjoy!
Fluffy appams are ready!
- You can substitute wheat flour with maida/all purpose flour.
- You can also substitute jaggery with sugar.
- If you feel/doubt jaggery having any impurities,melt it with little water in stove,and filter it.then add the wheat flour to itand make batter,adjust water proportion.
- Can fry more than one at a time,depending upon the amount of oil we keep for frying
- Updated,Edited to add :But for best shapes like the one in updated picture,keep little oil (more than needed for shallow frying(1/4 th of kadai) and use a deep curved laddle (kuzhi karandi) and pour one at a time.
- Adding banana give a nice flavour and softness to the appam,but it can be omitted too.(In my opinion,if we omit banana,the softness reduces,but you get the full flavour of wheat flour,so its up to you)!
- You can fry in ghee,which will give an excellent taste.