My version of arisi upma,is using arisi noi( Means broken rice), is a simpler version which has very few ingredients and can be done in a jiffy! Some days you don't feel like spending more time in cooking right?! That time with very less time spending in kitchen you can do this...That too I use electric rice cooker for this...so it comes out really fluffy!!
And side dish thengai (coconut) thogaiyal ,is a perfect combo for this! So here we go for the recipes:
|Red chillies||5-6 nos|
|Tamarind||2 big pinches|
|Urad dal||2 tblsp|
You can increase the urad dal and decrease coconut accordingly.
- Fry urad dal and red chillies, till golden brown and cool down.
- Wet the tamarind in water and microwave in high for 20 - 30 seconds, to make it soft ( gets ground evenly).
- First add all the items without water and grind it in the mixer.
- Then add the required water and grind to a smooth paste.
- Consistency should be thick like thogayal.. This needs no tempering...Don't you think its simple
And this tastes divine with a divine flavour!!!
Arisi/Rice Upma :
Here's picture of broken rice,its available in grocery stores....
|Broken rice||1 cup|
|Water||2 ,1/4 cups|
|Urad dal||1 tsp|
|Channa dal||2 tsp|
|green or red chillies||3 nos|
|Curry leaves||1 sprig|
- Wash the rice and add the required water and salt in the electric rice cooker and mix well.
- Also temper with items in the "To Temper" table...mix well
- Cook as usual you cook rice in electric rice cooker, once done open and mix well.
- Now its all ready!!
- OPTIONAL: You can add little coconut gratings or just a teaspoon of coconut oil and mix well, after opening the cooker.
- But this tastes simply superb!