Tomato rice / thakkali sadam recipe (updated)
|Basmati/long grain rice||1 cup|
|Tomatoes||3 medium sized(chop fine)|
|Onion||1 big (slice thin)|
|Garlic||8-10 flakes(slice into thin circles)|
|Red chilli powder||1 tsp|
|Garam masala powder||1/2 tsp|
|Salt||1 & 1/2 tsp|
|Coriander leaves||1 tblsp|
|Urad dal||1 tsp|
|Channa dal(optional)||2 tsp|
|Fennel seeds||1 tsp|
|Curry leaves||1 sprig|
- Wash and soak basmati rice for 10mins. Pressure cook rice for three whistles in medium flame with 1 & 1/2 cup water.
- Heat a kadai with oil,ghee and temper with the items given under ‘To temper’ table. Add chopped garlic, green chillies and give a fry. Then add the sliced onion and fry till transparent.
- Add chopped tomato and add salt and fry until it turns mushy and add the powders-red chilli,garam masala, turmeric and the coriander leaves.
- Fry till tomatoes gets in to mushy gravy for 4-5 minutes until oil separates but still it remains moist and semi gravy.
- Now mix this gravy with the cooked rice along with sesame oil or ghee if needed and give atleast some 10 min. standing time.
Serve hot with raitha or korma...i made it for my son,so he had with Broccoli stir fry...
- You can add finely chopped carrots and green peas also...
- This one goes to Srivalli's rice mela!