This is my favourite,because I am a big fan of brinjal. I became a great fan of this vangibath,when I was staying in hostel and enjoyed this one in our hostel mess. I could not recreate the same taste,but definitely a very close taste to that iyer mess in SRC Trichy. Most of the Hostel mess will be a night mare,only we had almost a good time.Especially after noon lunch will be as good as home food! We had no problem....This vangibath will be once in a month...but it will be so flavour ful!!!
|Brinjal( I used long purple variety)||1 and a half|
|Rice (Long grain/basmati)||1 cup|
|Tamarind||1 small gooseberry sized|
|Green chillies||2 nos.|
|Curry leaves||1 sprig|
|Ginger||1 inch piece|
|Bay leaves||1 or 2|
|Cinnamon||1 inch piece|
TO Roast and grind:
|Coconut, grated||2 tblsp|
|channa dal||1 tblsp|
|Urad dal||1 tsp|
|Coriander seeds||1 tsp|
|pepper corns||5-7 nos.|
|Red chilli||3 nos.|
|Urad dal||1 tsp|
|Channa dal||1 tsp|
- Soak rice for half an hour,heat ghee in a kadai and add cloves,elachi,cinnamon,bay leaves and fry and add to rice and cook it with salt( I used 1:2 , rice : water ratio) You can skip this part and just cook the rice alone and add the whole garam masalas-cloves,elachi,cinnamon,bay leaves while you season,a easier way!
- Cool the cooked rice and keep aside.
- Roast all the ingredients under "To roast and grind" table to golden brown/nice aroma rises....except coconut...coconut can be roasted very slightly.
- Cool it and powder it and keep aside.
- Cut brinjal into finger length strips and keep it immersed in water till use,cut ginger into thin strips and slit the green chillies.
- Extract tamarind juice from the tamarind.
- Heat the kadai with a tsp oil and add the seasoning items and roast it nicely. After done add ginger,green chillies and curry leaves.Add brinjals with turmeric and fry till soft.
- Add the tamarind juice,required salt for brinjal and bring it to boil. Add the ground masala and simmer for 3 minutes or till brinjal gets cooked.
- Take care that brinjal doesn't gets mashed.
- At the end the masala will become a thick paste and shiny.
- Check for salt Add this to rice and mix carefully. You can garnish with coriander leaves if u want.Serve hot with raita of your choice. I had with amma’s vadam