Idli podi or Ulutham paruppu milagai podi,how we call it is a dry spicy powder mixed with ghee or sesame oil, used as an accompaniment for Idli and dosas...This is the authentic recipe which I learnt from my mother,she in-turn learnt from my grandmother..... In my in- laws side also same,except some few changes... This is so very different from store bought powder. This is very aromatic, flavorful, spicy and tasty powder a lot better than the store bought one.
This stays good for a month if handled properly. Store in an airtight container…
|Sour curd/Dahi||1 cup|
|Besan/gram flour||1 1/2 tblsp|
|Tomato cut into cubes||1|
|Ginger Chopped||1 tsp|
|Red chilli powder||1 tsp|
|Green chillies||2 nos|
|Curry leaves||1 sprig|
- Whisk the curd well, add besan ,salt,turmeric to make a smooth consistency ,add 1 cup of water and mix well .
- Heat a kadai and add the tadka items in order,followed by ginger,green chillies and tomatoes.
- Fry till tomatoes becomes mushy,then add the red chilli powder and pour the whisked curd mixture and stir well.
- At one stage as it boils,it raises up as shown in the picture,then stir it well in low flame and boil.
- Boil till the oil floats on to the top,you can smell the aroma all over the house!
- Transfer to the serving bowl,Garnish with fresh coriander and serve with rice!