Idli podi or Ulutham paruppu milagai podi,how we call it is a dry powder mixed with ghee or sesame oil,is used as an accompaniment for Idly and dosa's...This is the authentic recipe which I learnt from my mother,she in-turn learnt from my grandmother..... In my in- laws side also same,except some few changes...
|Urad dal||1/2 cup|
|Channa dal||1 fist full|
|Red chillies||15- 20 nos.|
|Sesame seeds||1 tsp|
|Coconut, grated||1 - 2 tsp|
- Roast all the ingredients,except salt separately till golden brown and cool down.
- Grind first red chillies and salt first and then add the other ingredients and grind to a fine or little coarse powder...how I like!
- Enjoy this podi,obviously with idly or sprinkle this magic over thin dosa spread with ghee!! Nei Podi dosai anyone?
This stays good for a month if handled properly. Store in an airtight container…
|Sour curd/Dahi||1 cup|
|Besan/gram flour||1 1/2 tblsp|
|Tomato cut into cubes||1|
|Ginger Chopped||1 tsp|
|Red chilli powder||1 tsp|
|Green chillies||2 nos|
|Curry leaves||1 sprig|
- Whisk the curd well, add besan ,salt,turmeric to make a smooth consistency ,add 1 cup of water and mix well .
- Heat a kadai and add the tadka items in order,followed by ginger,green chillies and tomatoes.
- Fry till tomatoes becomes mushy,then add the red chilli powder and pour the whisked curd mixture and stir well.
- At one stage as it boils,it raises up as shown in the picture,then stir it well in low flame and boil.
- Boil till the oil floats on to the top,you can smell the aroma all over the house!
- Transfer to the serving bowl,Garnish with fresh coriander and serve with rice!