Sunday, October 26, 2008
|Potato||2 nos. (Big)|
|Curry leaves||1 sprig|
|Coconut oil||1 tsp (optional)|
|Coriander seeds||1/2 tblsp|
|Red chillies||3-4 nos.|
|Black pepper whole||1/2 tsp|
|Urad dal||1 tsp|
- Peel the potato skin,wash and cut into 1 inch pieces as shown in the picture.Keep immersed in water till you use.
- Cut onion length wise and keep aside.
- Grind the ingredients under the "To Grind" table ,without adding water.
- Heat oil in kadai and add mustard,urad dal and then add curry leaves and onion,fry till onion turns out golden brown.
- Then add the cut potatoes,salt and turmeric and fry in medium flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the ground masala powder and add enough water to the potato to get cooked.
- Mix well and cook cover with a lid in a medium flame,till the potato gets cooked.Keep turning in between to avoid burning.
- After potato gets cooked,fry till water evaporates completely and curry should be dry.
- If desired add coconut oil at the end and transfer to the serving bowl and Serve as accompaniment for rice!
Friday, October 24, 2008
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
Sunday, October 19, 2008
Baby corn Pulao / Baby corn pulav - This is a simple yet wonderful recipe using baby corn,...I am using Baby corn, but you can also try this with corn kennels.
I am sending this pulav to my dear friend Srivalli of cooking for all seasons ,for the event Rice Mela!
Friday, October 17, 2008
Keerai sambar is one of our family favorite. Both at mom's place and in-law's place. Initially I never got a hold on this sambar and got it very runny, then later by experience realized that keerai will leave water and have to be careful while adding water. And usually add more dal, sambar powder to make it thicker and spicier otherwise it will be bland.
Thursday, October 9, 2008
This recipe is in my hand written cookbook,which I had written before my marriage.So I don't know the source of this recipe...but It comes out really nice. While you cook this, your family and even neighbours will ask you what you are cooking! That much flavourful, spicy kurma recipe.
cashew - 5 nos.
onion - 1 chopped
Fried gram dal or Peanuts - 1 tblsp
Garlic - 4 flakes
Elachi - 1
cinnamon - 1/2 inch piece
cloves - 1
Green chillies - 3
Red chillies - 3
Dry coriander seeds - 1 tsp
- Cut onion lengthwise and finely chop tomatoes. Grind all the ingredients under "to Grind" table,to a smooth paste and keep a side.
- Split cauliflower into required sized pieces and boil it with green peas in salt,turmeric added water,till 3/4th done and keep aside.
- Heat a kadai with oil and fry onions to golden brown and then add chopped tomatoes and salt.
- After the tomatoes get mushy, add the ground paste and fry in a low flame, till oil leaves the sides of the pan and raw smell disappears.
- Add cauliflower and cooked green peas and fry for a minute .
- Add required water and bring it to boil and cook in low flame for 2-3 minutes.
Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve with roti or poori or parotta. I had with chapatis and poori for my kid.
I don't know how exactly people call this in English...I think its called elephant yam .Its smaller in size like potatoes...Here's the picture...
This kizhangu have a tendency to give you a itchy feeling in your tongue,when eaten.But proper cooking removes that tendency...My mother,MIL says...buy this and keep it for @least 2 weeks before cooking,which also helps.When we are cooking , we have to use correct proportion of lemon juice/tamarind extract.
But its very good for our health...like its good for curing loss of appetite,bleeding piles,constipation....So here's the recipe.
|Pidi karunai kizhangu||8-10 nos.|
|Lemon/lime juice||1 1/2 tsp|
|Green chillie||4-5 nos.|
|Grated coconut||3 tblsp|
|Urad dal||1 tsp|
|Curry leaves||1 sprig|
|Coconut oil||(Optional)1/2 tsp|
- Pressure cook the kizhangu upto 3 whistles.Cool down and peel off the skin and mash it with your hands.
- Add salt and lime juice and mix well,check for salt and keep aside.
- Chop the green chillies and onion.
- Heat a kadai and add oil,when hot add mustard,when it splutters,add urad dal, followed by curry leaves,green chillies and onion.
- Fry till onion turns transparent and light pink.
- Add the mashed kizhangu, kept aside.
- Fry till moisture evaporates...May take little long time...
- Lastly add coconut oil(If using) and grated coconut and mix well.
- Now transfer to the serving bowl!Its ready as an accompaniment for rice !
Now MEME that I kept pending for almost a month...,raaji as I told you this is just for you!!
7 Facts about me:
- I am a food lover,as I grew eating hot hot ,my mom's delicious cooking....still I hate to eat my own cooking .
- I have interest in music,I wish I could sing like Hariharan.....but I can still only enjoy his voice
- I can draw,paint a little...but now out of touch...
- I have interest to play badminton,volley ball....casually though I am not a champion in these games...just for fun
- I am very sensitive person,I cannot see any body ill,my darlings (hubby and my son) or my close relations,suffering ...even a cold.....
- I like to chat a lot...when I find time I will either call my friend sangeeta or call my parents,in-laws or any other relatives....so that my feels light.
- I sometimes feel to spend my free time ,something useful,like learning something....driving,photography.....but my laziness wins !!!!