Friday, November 28, 2008
I love tomato rice a lot. Initially I never got it right when I tried to make. Either I will over cook the rice or wont cook this tomato paste to be mixed with rice properly. So the taste wont be perfect. Then experience teach me how to make a decent tomato rice. Now a days I can proudly say I make tasty tomato rice. Once when I made this tomato rice, I could see my MIL like this one and asked to make it the same way other day too. I felt really happy for the first time that day when I knew I too can cook properly as it was my beginning stage in cooking. I like the garlic flavor in tomato rice a lot. So make sure always add it.
Serve hot with raitha or korma...i made it for my son,so he had with Broccoli stir fry...
- You can add finely chopped carrots and green peas also...
This one goes to Srivalli's rice mela!
Tuesday, November 25, 2008
From this day I will be posting some of the recipes from my friend sangeeta. We both are friends for more than two years and I will be then and there visiting her place and have enjoyed her cooking....!!! And I am very happy to bring you her version of recipes to you all....
My version is Instant rava dosa adapted from Prema's cook book,and hers is a very authentic ,different way,her mother-in-law used to do for years!!
Other than this recipe,she will be mostly bringing you north Indian and authentic Sindhi recipes with us all!! (And to make this special I will be posting her recipes in a different font from mine...).Hope you all will give equal support as you give to mines...
Rava dosa ( Soaking version) :
Pictures and recipe From : Sangeeta's Kitchen
1. Soak maida, rava and rice flour along with jeera, greenchillies and curry leaves for 6 -7 hours. The water level should be above the mixture.
2. At the time when you are going to prepare dosas, season with mustard and pepper and add it to the dosa batter along with salt,onion,curry leaves and coriander and mix .
3. Add a handful for rava to the batter and water , to make it to pouring consistency(thin).
4. Heat tawa spread oil , pour the batter in the outer in to a circle, so that it spreads in the inner sides.
5.Add oil over it and turn it the other side. wait till it gets crispy.
6. Enjoy with potato Masala and chutney.
Rava dosa (Instant version):
Mine is a fata - fat version,if you feel like eating rava dosa,this comes handy, and taste wise no compromise also!!
The differences between the two are the soaking part and the ratio of the ingredients....
But as both I have tasted,they are equally good...:)
I always use little ghee for making rava dosa,as it gives a restaurant kinda flavour!!! And I don't flip the dosa,as it gets cooked easily.
You can find the recipe,exactly here.
One more angle of dosa!
Sunday, November 23, 2008
My version of arisi upma,is using arisi noi( Means broken rice), is a simpler version which has very few ingredients and can be done in a jiffy! Some days you don't feel like spending more time in cooking right?! That time with very less time spending in kitchen you can do this...That too I use electric rice cooker for this...so it comes out really fluffy!!
And side dish thengai (coconut) thogaiyal ,is a perfect combo for this! So here we go for the recipes:
|Red chillies||5-6 nos|
|Tamarind||2 big pinches|
|Urad dal||2 tblsp|
You can increase the urad dal and decrease coconut accordingly.
- Fry urad dal and red chillies, till golden brown and cool down.
- Wet the tamarind in water and microwave in high for 20 - 30 seconds, to make it soft ( gets ground evenly).
- First add all the items without water and grind it in the mixer.
- Then add the required water and grind to a smooth paste.
- Consistency should be thick like thogayal.. This needs no tempering...Don't you think its simple
And this tastes divine with a divine flavour!!!
Arisi/Rice Upma :
Here's picture of broken rice,its available in grocery stores....
|Broken rice||1 cup|
|Water||2 ,1/4 cups|
|Urad dal||1 tsp|
|Channa dal||2 tsp|
|green or red chillies||3 nos|
|Curry leaves||1 sprig|
- Wash the rice and add the required water and salt in the electric rice cooker and mix well.
- Also temper with items in the "To Temper" table...mix well
- Cook as usual you cook rice in electric rice cooker, once done open and mix well.
- Now its all ready!!
- OPTIONAL: You can add little coconut gratings or just a teaspoon of coconut oil and mix well, after opening the cooker.
- But this tastes simply superb!
Saturday, November 22, 2008
Vijaya of Dailymeals have also passed me the good job Award!
By-Malar , Anusriram, Andhra flavours
By - Anu sriram From Chandrabahga
By-Jaishree from Ruchi
Hope I did mentioned everybody and everything correct!
Thankyou so much to each and everyone who remembered me when passing the awards,I dont
know even I deserve these awards,but I am happy that I have got somany friends around here,who keep me in their mind!!
I am not passing this in particular to anybody as all of you would have already got these awards... But I am dedicating these to all of my blogger friends!
And here's a snap of the Spicy baby potatoes I tried from Here...(?)or may be Here(?) Thank you both for this wonderful recipe,Nags and Bharathy!
Friday, November 21, 2008
This ladies finger/ bhindi/ okra/vendaikai fries, comes out very crispy,this is very easy and goes well as an accompaniment for rice and even we can eat as a snack! Ingredients and preparation is very simple!
- Clean the ladies finger with water and pat dry with kitchen towel,so that there's no water. Cut it into thin circles as shown below.
- Add all the other ingredients,except oil.
- Mix it thoroughly.If needed, sprinkle very little water,only say 1 tblsp.
- Heat oil and add like sprinkling the mixture and fry in a medium flame.Turn in between to ensure even cooking.
- My mom in law adds a tsp or 2 tsps of curd instead of water for binding the flour. It gives even more crispier fries.
- If you are not adding enough water to bind the flour to the ladies finger, the fries will come out so white and wont turn golden while frying and it spoils the oil(the flour).
- Adding more water also will turn the fries chewy. Do not add corn flour more too than mentioned.
The ladies finger gets cooked with a sound in oil and when the sound ceases,and becomes light and crispy drain the fries to kitchen towel.