I was not aware of this fine vermicelli until one day my friend S told about it...Its finer than our usual vermicelli .We get this kind in Singapore in Mustafa .. (Available in chennai too..). When my in-laws came here for a visit,I made this for New year,they all liked so much! . I have here given the recipe of payasam made in MW,think its easy enough to relate this in stove top method as well.
|Fine vermicelli||1/2 cup|
|Sugar||Little more than 1/4 cup|
- Mix the broken vermicelli with a tsp of ghee in a microwavable glass bowl, and Microwave in high for 2 min,stir in in between.
- Heat little milk till warm and soak the saffron in it,keep aside.Soak pistachios in water and remove the outer skin and chop this and cashews into pieces.
- Mix the nuts with a dash of ghee and microwave till it gets roasted,keep aside.
- Add enough water(to immerse it completely) to the roasted vermicelli and cook in microwave high for 3 minutes till soft and tender.
- Add the sugar,mix well and microwave in high for 4 mins,stirring in between once.
- Add milk lastly along with elachi powder,pista,cashews and saffron dissolved in milk.
- Stir well and boil for 3-4 min stirring in between. (If the payasam tends to be too thick,add more milk,this payasam turns to be thick when cold,so add accordingly)
8.Stir well and give Payasam is ready! Serve hot or cold as per ur choice!