I ate tomato rasam at Sangeeta's place first and liked very much,the tangy taste and flavor of tomato.Then I decided to try on my own as I usually make garlic rasam and paruppu rasam always!. Then I made some changes according to my convenience and taste and now a days I like this very much!
|Red ripe tomatoes||3 nos.,big|
|Tamarind extract||1 tblsp (thick)|
|Rasam powder||1/2 tblsp aprox.|
|Curry leaves||1 sprig|
|Coriander leaves||1-2 tblsp|
|Red chillies||2-3 nos.|
|Curry leaves||1/2 tsp|
- Soak tamarind in hot water and extract the juice and keep aside. Chop the tomatoes and keep aside. Heat kadai and temper with the tempering items,given in the "To Temper" table.
- Add the chopped tomatoes to it,with salt and fry for 4-5 minutes in medium flame.
- Continur frying until it becomes mushy.
- Add 3 cups water,curry leaves torn and the tamarind extract.
- Boil for 4-5 minutes.Lastly add the rasam powder,sugar and just boil for a minute or two.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or just enjoy as soup!