This is how my mom and mom-in-law makes paruppu thogayal. Usually paruppu thogayal will be in the menu if they make vatral kuzhambu...which is the best combo.
My mom-in-law makes another variety of paruppu thogayal,which uses moong dal and coconut...,which I will blog some other time.
Till I got married my mom used to grind this in ammi kallu... which,tastes the best!But now a days,we use mixer for grinding.
|Thoor dal/Thuvaram paruppu||1/2 cup|
|Red chillies||3 nos|
|Garlic(small variety)||3 flakes|
|Oil||few drops(for frying,optional)|
2. Cool down and grind it to a coarse paste with added salt,peeled garlic(i used small variety,use only one if u use the big flakes) and required.
3.To eat with rice,mix this paste with rice and little sesame oil or you can have as an accompaniment for vatral kuzhambu rice or curd rice!.
You can add 2 tblsps of coconut while grinding,that will give you an enhanced taste!
I ate tomato rasam at Sangeeta's place first and liked very much,the tangy taste and flavor of tomato.Then I decided to try on my own as I usually make garlic rasam and paruppu rasam always!. Then I made some changes according to my convenience and taste and now a days I like this very much!
|Red ripe tomatoes||3 nos.,big|
|Tamarind extract||1 tblsp (thick)|
|Rasam powder||1/2 tblsp aprox.|
|Curry leaves||1 sprig|
|Coriander leaves||1-2 tblsp|
|Red chillies||2-3 nos.|
|Curry leaves||1/2 tsp|
- Soak tamarind in hot water and extract the juice and keep aside.
- Chop the tomatoes and keep aside.
- Heat kadai and temper with the tempering items,given in the "To Temper" table.
- Add the chopped tomatoes to it,with salt and fry for 4-5 minutes in medium flame.
- After it become mushy and the raw smell goes,add 3 cups water,curry leaves torn and the tamarind extract.
- Boil for 4-5 minutes.
- Lastly add the rasam powder,sugar and just boil for a minute or two.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or just enjoy as soup!!