This is my way of making appam,we all like it to have with coconut milk sweetened with jaggery and flavoured with cardamom! This may not be the authentic way of making appam with yeast or coconut/coconut milk, but its a fool proof recipe,which gives you soft,crisp and lacy appams. The fenugreek seeds and cooked rice/aval(poha) does the magic.
Check out this vegetable stew for side dish
|Raw rice(I use basmati rice)||1 & 1/2 cup|
|Idly rice||1 & 1/2 cup|
|Urad dal/vellai ulundhu(whole)||1 fist full|
|Fenugreek seeds/vendhayam||1/8 cup|
|Cooked rice or Poha/aval||1 fist full|
|Cooking soda||1 generous pinch|
- Soak both rice together(soak aval if you are using) and urad dhal,fenugreek seeds together for 3 hrs.
- First grind urad dal and fenugreek together till smooth and fluffy adding around 1/2 cup water,then add rice,enough water and grind till smooth(add cooked rice if u are adding ,add while you add rice).
- Mix salt and keep for fermentation overnight.
- Batter should be little bit watery than idly batter(just pouring consistency) and should not be heavy,should be light.
- Before you decide to make aapam,add the cooking soda and stir well.
- Heat a heavy bottomed kadai and pour 1 1/2 laddle of batter.
- Just spread in the sides of the pan like we spread dosa,leaving little batter still in the middle( I find this method easier and quicker).
- This will give you thin edges,just like if we rotate the pan. If you are convenient in rotating the pan,then hold the two sides of the pan and rotate in a circular motion to get a thin edge.
- If you use oil just drizzle a few drops after u make the aapam,if you do so before then batter will not spread evenly.
- Cook covered in a medium low flame and serve hot with your choice of side dish,stew or kurma or simply coconut milk!
I like mine,slightly browned and crisp,so after I open the lid,I keep the flame in high to turn it brown,so its ur choice to brown it and have it crispy or have it soft and white…
The rules for the Kreative Blogger award are :
1. You must thank the person who has given you the award.
2. Copy the logo and place it on your blog.
3. Link to the person who has nominated you for the award.
4. Name 7 things about yourself that people might find interesting.
5. Nominate 7 other Kreativ Bloggers.
6. Post links to the 7 blogs you nominate.
7. Leave a comment on which of the blogs to let them know they
have been nominated.
7 Things about me :
- I started this food blog to develop my cooking skills.
- Then I liked to develop my food photography skills to give a better picture for my recipe…and still learn a lot from web.
- I always love to eat,but it should not have been cooked by me… :)
- I like to listen to music,its one of my hobbies.
- I like to draw or paint.
- I like to watch newly released movies in Theatre :) ,though we get CDs here in Singapore.
- As I like to eat a lot,as a result of it,i gain a lot of weight and struggle hard to reduce it :)
I think I should be the last person to post this one,by this time most of you might have gotten,still as per the rule I have to tag,I here by tagging 7 more,but I am tagging only 5 and I request them to not to take it as burden and do the tag when ever they find time:) If they hav already gotten,pls ignore!
Enjoy the tag!