I love this kuzhambu,its a life saver for me when I made this after long time…after I got bored of sambhar and vathakuzhambu and the usual stuff I do for lunch…
For urundai(kofta):For approx 20 koftas
|Toor dal /thuvaram paruppu||3/4cup|
|small onion/shallots,chopped||3 tblsps|
|coconut grated(optional)||1-2 tblsp|
|Red chillies||4 nos.|
|chopped coriander leaves||4 tblsp|
|Tamarind/puli||1 big gooseberry size|
|shallots/small onions,peeled||1/2 cup|
|Garlic ,peeled||10 flakes|
|Sambar powder(refer tips page),replace with redchilli,coriander powder||4 – 5 tsps|
|Jaggery (optional)||1/4 tsp|
|Sesame oil/cooking oil||3 tblsp|
|fenugreek seeds/vendhayam||1/4 tsp|
|curry leaves||2 sprigs|
- Soak toor dal for 2 hrs,in a mixer,first grind jeera,fennel seeds(if desired),red chillies,coconut to a coarse powder.
- Then add the toor dal (soaked,water drained )and grind coarsely.(little bit finer then we grind for masala vada)(don’t add water)Add chopped onions,salt,coriander leaves and mix well.
- Make small balls out of the ground batter and steam it by placing in a greased idly plates and steam it for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Cool down a bit(but let it be still warm),and again shape tightly,to make it perfect shaped koftas.
- Extract tamarind juice,keep a side,grind the coconut and onion for a fine paste,keep a side.
- Heat a kadai,with oil and add the tempering items under the table To temper.
- Add garlic,onion and fry till golden brown.Then add the chopped tomatoes and fry for a minute.
- Add the tamarind extract,sambar powder,turmeric and bring to boil and then add the ground coconut and onion paste.
- Add enough water and salt,jaggery(if desired) and boil for 10 mins,till the oil seperates and a thick consistency.(not too thick as the usual kara kuzhambu,this kofta kuzhambu should be a little thinner in consistency,not too thin too …but thinner than the usual kara kuzhambu)
- At last add the koftas and bring to boil and remove from fire. Serve hot with rice and ghee .
- Just grind the dals little more fine paste and make balls and keep ready,just skip steaming and add the kofta one by one after the 4h step.
- The gravy should boil ,then simmer the flame and then only u should add the urundais one by one carefully.
- boil in medium flame until all the balls float on the top(6-8 mins approx),by this time it would have got cooked.
- Do not stir till this stage. simmer for 4 mins and the kuzhambu is ready!