My mom makes cabbage kootu this way, so I learnt it from her. This is quite different, I have seen only mom makes this way, MIL makes it yellow with sambar powder in it. I love it both ways, still like moms the best :) Its so flavorful, the grinding part makes it smell great! I simply love this kootu with rice and ghee,perfect as accompaniment for vatral kuzhambu and kara kuzhambu!
- Cook the chopped cabbage with 1& 1/4 cups of water till done.
- Add the cooked mashed moong dal and stir well.
- Grind the ingredients under “To Grind” and stir in to the cooked cabbage.
- Bring to boil and mix well. Take care not to leave it as such while it boils, as it gets burnt in the bottom if left un attended for a while, so keep stiring.
- Lastly temper with the items in the " tempering table”and mix well.
Mix well and serve as an accompaniment for rice,usually we make this for vatral kuzhambu.(also for kara kuzhambu and puli kuzhambu)