This is my family favourite snack,so made today as Deepavali snack! This is for my own reference and hope helps out who wants to try it out at home.
|Gram four/kadalai mavu||1 cup|
|Rice flour||1/2 cup|
|Butter(at room temperature)||1 tblsp|
|Hot oil||2-3 tblsp|
|Oil||for deep frying|
- Dry roast omam,just till warm and powder it in the mixer.Then add 1/4 cup water and grind again .Filter this and keep aside.
- Sieve gram flour and rice flour together and add salt,butter,hot oil and the omam extract and mix well.
- Then add water as needed(careful,needs very less) and mix well,form a sticky dough.
- Press through the ompodi/idiyappam press in heated oil(oil should be heated just right,i.e; if you add a pinch of dough it should raise up immediately,dont heat till oil fuming)
- Form a circle in the oil and make sure you don’t overlap.
- Turn carefully immediately and cook till the bubbles ceases(takes very less time,less than a minute)
- Drain in paper towel and repeat the process for rest of the dough.
8. Keep in an air tight container after cooling down,tastes best from the next day :)
- If you find it difficult to press through, then sprinkle a little water to loosen the dough.