My mom-in-law tried this out after watching this in a TV cookery show,4 years back . She uses microwave idly steamer, since I don’t have that, I have given here stove top method. The stuff part is up to you,use your creativity to experiment and suit your tastes.
Usually I make idiyappam with the ready mix(rice flour) available here in Singapore(BABA’S). Comes out really soft and moist. I usually prepare the basic white idiyappam and with that I mix tot make sweet(sugar+coconut+elachi) and savory-lemon/puli(tamarind)/paruppu(dhal) any one of these varieties. So for a change(okay,may be for blogging) I tried this out after 4 years ,though I wanted to try it out for long time.
If you have guests at home,you can make this for Breakfast/dinner along with some thing else. I made coconut chutney with this as side dish. Was tasting great!
|Idiyappam flour||1 cup|
|Water and salt||As needed|
|sesame oil (optional)||1 tsp|
|Mixed vegetables of your choice||1 cup|
|Red chillie powder||1 tsp|
|Garam masala powder||1/2 tsp|
To grind to Coarse paste:
|Jeera or u can use fennel||3/4 tsp|
|Shallot(small/pearl onions)||2 nos.|
|Green chillies(use this if you don't want to use red chilli powder above)||3 nos.|
|Jeera or fennel||3/4 tsp|
|Curry leaves||1 sprig|
- Boil water with oil(just till the bubbles start appearing in the sides) and add this to the flour(add salt if theres no salt in the mix) and make a smooth dough just like our chapathi dough. It should be non sticky if the consistency is right. Keep covered till you need.
- Boil/steam cook vegetables with salt,turmeric and red chilli powder till done.
- Grind the coconut first then add jeera/fennel,onion and green chillies(if only u or not adding red chilli powder) and grind to a coarse paste,with only very little water.
- Heat kadai/pan with oil and temper with the tempering items given and then add the veggies and stir fry for a minute.
- Add the ground masala to this veggie and cook in medium low flame for 3-4 minutes till the raw smell disappears. remove from fire.
To make stuffed idiyappam:
- Fill in your idiyapam press with enough dough and take a greased idly plate and draw a single layer.
- Keep one or two tblsp of the prepared stuff above it and again layer it with the idiyappam to completely cover the stuff.
- Repeat it to fill the idly plate and steam this for 3-4 minutes.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney to rise your guest’s eye brows .
Sorry If I have bored you all with too many pictures.
I still have to perfect mines,so that the stuffing doesn’t shows out.