This has been in my to do list for long time,my mom makes this,I used to love this a lot…She makes rarely though. I recently was going through my cook book collections,I saw very similar recipe in aval vikadan supplementary …so I mixed up the both and tried today. Liked so much. My mom makes for dinner. We can make this as evening snack or along with another dish for dinner. I made small patties just like I saw in aval vikadan…(They have given a name “vandi chakkaram”)
My mom’s version ,she doesn't uses black pepper and jeera,instead she uses red chillies and also she doesn’t add coconut much. So here's the hybrid.
|Raw rice||1 cup|
|Toor dal/Thuvaram paruppu||1& 1/2 tblsp|
|Black pepper corns||1 tsp|
|Coconut, grated||1 cup|
|Water||2 & 1/4 cup|
|Coconut oil||1 tsp|
|Curry leaves||1 sprig|
|Coriander leaves||Chopped- 1 tblsp|
- Clean and soak rice and dal for at least 2 hours .
- First grind pepper and jeera just a little and then add the soaked rice and dal and grind carefully to rawa consistency as shown in the picture.
- Heat kadai and temper with the items given under the table and add the water and bring to boil.
- Add the coconut and then the ground rice mixture and Mix well.
- Cook covered in low flame for 4-5 mins.Cook till it becomes like upma. (non sticky)
- Add the coconut oil(if desired) and mix well and switch off the stove.
- After cooling down take desired sized ball and make adais. I made small adais and shaped it with a lid. You can skip this step and make bigger adais as well.
- I used a polythene sheet and a glove. Grease just the first time when u start to make,after that i dint needed,so if you feel u need to grease,u can. Other wise not necessary.
- Heat a non stick pan and drizzle little oil or ghee and toast these adais in medium flame each side for about 2 mins.
- Serve with coconut chutney or coriander thokku or coriander chutney the best of all!!
You can grind rice ,dal ,pepper and jeera to rawa consistency in mill and keep. When ever you want you can follow the same method(no soaking part) and enjoy! I thoroughly enjoyed these,in fact I could not resist my self eating while i was making adais and also after I made while taking pictures too . Tastes good even if it cools down,so you can make it as a snack for any get together too!