This is a type of rasam,we make when we get bored of sambar and kuzhmbu and or some times we feel to have rice for dinner,yet we need it to be light meal and also easy to make. Puli saaru helps in these situations,I make this and just make a simple poriyal or just fry vadavams as side. Some call this Vendhaya Vengaya Rasam too… So here’s a comfort dish,yet a flavorful,spicy one. I never make this if I don’t have shallots.
|Tamarind||Small gooseberry sized|
|Shallots/small onions||10 nos.|
|Tomato||1 medium sized|
|Green chillies||5-8 nos.|
|Coriander leaves||chopped,1 tblsp(optional)|
To Temper:(Don’t miss Anything)
|fenugreek seeds||3/4 tsp|
|Toor dal||1 tsp|
|Curry leaves||1 sprig|
|Asafetida powder||1/4 tsp|
- Extract tamarind juice and mix 2 – 2& 1/ 2 cups of water and keep aside.
- Chop onions and cut tomatoes into cubes,slit the green chillies.
- Heat a pan with oil and temper with the tempering items,given in the table in the same order.
- Add onion and green chillies and fry till onions turn transparent.Add the tomatoes and fry for 2 mins in medium flame to make it soft.
- Add the tamarind extract and salt,sugar and bring it to boil and let it boil for just 2 mins.
- Transfer to the serving bowl and garnish with coriander leaves if desired.