For me, rasam means, I cannot imagine without garlic and coriander leaves,at least one of the above should be there,otherwise I don’t like. This recipe for rasam is quite unusual one,coz we use sambar powder for this rasam and not the rasam powder!! My mom makes this once in two weeks at least.we use lots of Paruppu(toor dal/thuvaram paruppu) in this one.
I made this today for my kiddo and for the first time he had this…
|Thuvaram paruppu,Cooked (toor dal)||1/2 cup|
|Sambar powder||1 tsp|
|Tamarind||1 small goose berry sized|
|garlic||8-10 flakes(I used big variety)|
|cumin seeds/Jeera||1 tsp|
|red chilies||2 nos,long variety|
|curry leaves||1 sprig|
- Pressure cook dal,mash it .Soak tamarind in hot water and extract tamarind juice.
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan and temper with the tempering items given followed by tomatoes cut into big cubes.
- Fry for a minute or two and add the tamarind juice,turmeric,sambar powder and salt.
- Peel the garlic flakes(we should use more garlic,if you use the small variety,increase the number than mentioned) and crush them slightly. Add these into the rasam ,followed by the cooked mashed dal. mix well
- when it just starts to boiling and becomes frothy,transfer to the serving bowl and close immediately.
- stir before serving , so that the dal mixes well. This rasam is meant not to be clear .so mix well before you serve each time!