Every Friday my mom makes some payasam and does vilakku pooja, till date. so I have had this gazillion times before marriage. After marriage, I would have made 4 or 5 times,only when some one visits for lunch. Its very easy to make and ready in less time comparatively(I always stick,adapt the easier one,lazy me ;) ). I have seen my mom-in-law making this in microwave oven and she adds sugar,while my mom adds jaggery. I am loving the jaggery version now a days..hmm..strange…! I used to love the sugar version when my mom used to make!! Taste always keeps on changing for me!!
I have given microwave version,step wise picture. But also the method for stove top method,adopt which ever you are comfortable with!!
This was this Friday's payasam at home :)
Method:(For stove top method)
- Heat a pan with tsp of ghee and fry the cashews till golden brown and in the same pan,add the aval and fry till golden brown.
- Boil milk and add the fried aval to it and cook in medium flame till the aval is done.
- Add the jaggery,elachi and mix well,add milk if needed and mix well in low flame. Don’t boil more than a minute as there are chances of curdling of milk.
- Sinfully delicious payasam is ready in minutes :)
- I have shown here with 1/4 cup of Aval(but mentioned the recipe for 1/2 cup)
- If you want to make it super fast,you can just coarsely grind the poha after frying and make,will be done in no time!
- The jaggery amount is approximate,adjust as per your taste.
- If you feel the jaggery you are using has impurities,you can make syrup and filter the impurities and use for the payasam.