Every Friday my mom makes some payasam and does vilakku pooja, till date. so I have had this gazillion times before marriage. After marriage, I would have made 4 or 5 times,only when some one visits for lunch. Its very easy to make and ready in less time comparatively(I always stick,adapt the easier one,lazy me ;) ). I have seen my mom-in-law making this in microwave oven and she adds sugar,while my mom adds jaggery. I am loving the jaggery version now a days..hmm..strange…! I used to love the sugar version when my mom used to make!! Taste always keeps on changing for me!!
I have given microwave version,step wise picture. But also the method for stove top method,adopt which ever you are comfortable with. Scroll down for stove top method.
How to make aval payasam video (Stove top method)
To read the recipe in Tamil Click Here
This was this Friday's payasam at home :)
Method:(For stove top method)
- Heat a pan with tsp of ghee and fry the cashews till golden brown and in the same pan,add the aval and fry till golden brown.
- Boil 2 cups milk (needs more milk) and add the fried aval to it and cook in medium or low flame till the aval is done. Takes roughly 8 minutes.
- Boil 1/2 cup water and add powdered jaggery to it. Heat until dissolved. Filter to remove any impurities.
- Add the jaggery,elachi annd mix well in low flame. Don’t boil more than a minute as there are chances of curdling of milk.
- I have shown here with 1/4 cup of Aval(but mentioned the recipe for 1/2 cup) for microwave method.
- If you want to make it super fast,you can just coarsely grind the poha after frying and make,will be done in no time!
- The jaggery amount is approximate,adjust as per your taste. You can add as much as 1/2 cup jaggery.
- If you feel the jaggery you are using has impurities,you can make syrup and filter the impurities and use for the payasam otherwise can use as such.
- Same recipe can be made with sugar too.