VERY VERY SIMPLE ONE POT MEAL
One day I was very much confused what to make for dinner and asking my friends I chat with ,what their plans for dinner.Then suddenly this simple yet very flavourful one I got to remember,try once,may be you like it too! I wanted this to be in my space as this is a family favourite! My mom makes another variant too,which I will post later…This recipe will sound like pongal+Upma…but trust me,the taste is nothing related to any of these dishes..!
I served with coconut thogayal,I just made a variation of adding a sprig of curry leaves in it …
|Raw rice/long grain rice||1 cup|
|Yellow moong dal/Pasi paruppu||1/4 cup|
|Grated coconut,for garnish(Optional)||3-4 tblsp|
|Salt||1 & 1/4 tsp or as needed|
|Green chilli,slit||3-4 nos|
|curry leaves||1 sprig|
- In a heavy bottomed pan( I used cooker itself),dry roast rice and dal together till the rice turns milky white and nice aroma rises. (I will soon update the picture to show the stage).Keep aside.
- Add the oil in the cooker directly and temper with the items given in order.
- Add two cups water,salt and the roasted rice & dal mixture and mix well.
- Pressure cook for 3 whistles in medium flame.
- Serve hot with little coconut gratings and coconut thogayal for accompaniment… My H loves with sugar too..!
You can add a tsp of coconut oil if you dont have coconut grating…