We are seeing so many mango recipe in blog world now,and me blog too not an exception. Here’s my post,this is a long time pending post,because I bought these mangoes 2 weeks back from wet market,wanted to make mango thokku or mango rice,now ended up with thokku as my H likes thokku than mango rice…. He also like pachadi, I made that when I bought last month,and clicked too to post it here,but was not satisfied with the clicks,so have to click again and post it!
This thokku is what both my mom and MIL makes in a same way. I love this with curd rice and also apt for some parathas. I am not a big fan of mangoes both un ripe and the fruit … its weird but I don’t like yes.
|Mango – (Unripe)||2 medium sized|
|Red chilli powder||2 & 1/2 - 3 tsp|
|Fenugreek seeds||1/2 tsp|
|Jaggery,powdered||1/4- 1/2 tsp|
|Sesame oil||1 tblsp|
|Sesame oil||2 tblsp|
- Peel off the skin of the mangoes and grate the mangoes using a grater. (You can slice very thin too)
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan with oil and temper with mustard and asafoetida. Add the grated mango and fry in medium flame for 4-5 minutes. The mango should get soft and transparent.
- Add the red chilli powder,turmeric,salt and add oil and mix well.
- Fry for 6-8 minutes in low flame,keep mixing every two minutes.
- Eventually,roast and powder the fenugreek(vendhayam)seeds.
- Add the jaggery and fenugreek seeds powder(I have this powdered and kept like I said here.)
- Fry for two more minutes.By this time the oil will ooze out and it will be in a halwa like consistency. Cool down and transfer to a clean airtight container. Refrigerate and use within a month.
Use clean spoons and keep refrigerated always!