I made this two weeks back for my in laws when I visited them. I learnt this from my MIL,I have made this so many times,every time this has come out successfully. It uses potato as ingredient and no urad flour. My MIL herself liked my murukku very much,which is the best credit for me. Do try yourself,sure this will come out great!
I have used the idiyappam flour which is very hand for me in various dishes.. The brand I buy is very fine powder in texture,so if you are trying with idiyappam flour make sure your flour is the fine in texture too.
|Rice flour||2 cups|
|Cumin seeds||1 & 1/2 tsp|
- Cook potato,cool down,remove the skin and grind with softened butter and water to a smooth paste.Mix the rice flour,asafoetida,cumin and salt well.
- Add the ground paste and required water,so that you get a non sticky dough.Keep covered at all the times.
- I used the murukku press with the plate with three round hole as shown in the picture. You can try the star hole plate too.
- I usually grease 3-4 broad laddles and press the murukku in the laddles and just drop the made murukkus in the hot oil. This method is good for two reasons…One is to avoid the heat not to affect your hands when you press directly in oil and the second is to make (hold) good shapes of the murukku.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan,in between press 3-4 murukkus in the greased broad laddles as shown in the above picture.
- When the oil is hot enough(if u add a pinch of dough it should rise immediately-do not let the oil fume at any point),drop the murukku one by one carefully. Put the fire in medium.
- After the bubbles reduces(a minute or so) turn the murukkus(you can put the flame high at this point). Cook both sides till the bubbles and the cooking sound ceases.
- Drain the murukkus in kitchen towels.
- Repeat the process till end and transfer to an air tight container. Stays good for a month. Enjoy the crispy white murukkus!