All my family members love ஜவ்வரிசி பாயசம். My MIL especially loves it a lot. I am always loserwhen it comes to this payasam, have tried so many times everytime I make some silly mistake and I loose hope to try again. but for past three times I got it right and thought of blogging this time,before I forget the method . I made this today for Aadi 18.
|Jaggery||3/4 cup(reduce if u r not sweet toothed)|
|Milk||2 1nd 1/2 cup|
|Ealchi powder||A pinch|
- Soak sago for 1 hour( I used the small variety,if you want to use the larger one, soak for atleast 3 hours).
- Boil milk and add the soaked sago.Cook till the sago are transparent and soft.(It took only approximately 3-4 minutes for me). Dont boil for so long other wise the sago will dissolve and the payasam will turn into porridge.And if you dont want a Kanji effect,you can first cook the sago in water,after done transparent,you can wash it in a strainer under running water and then add to thick boiled reduced milk.
- By this time it will turn thick in consistency too.
- Switch off the stove and add the jaggery,elachi powder and mix well till it gets dissolved. (If you think the jaggery is having impurities,just add the jaggery with water just to immerse it and make sugar syrup in a heavy bottomed pan and filter it,then add to the payasam and mix well).
- Don't heat the payasam after adding jaggery as milk will get curdled if we do so.
- Lastly fry the cashews in the ghee and garnish the payasam..Enjoy hot or cold!! I love cold and my hubby likes hot…