Godhumai adai or wheat flour onion adai is an easy dinner idea with simple ingredients, yet makes an amazing dinner. One can call this south Indianized onion paratha! Who cares about the name when it tastes awesome. My mom makes this for dinner and I was not a big fan of this before marriage…And after marriage when I made this,my hubby loved it and me too realized the taste and flavour of this one and started liking this! I made this yesterday for dinner… Flavoured with sambar powder,its truly south Indian!
Ingredients: (makes 6 adais)
|Wheat flour||1 & 1/2 cups|
|Onion||1 , big sized|
|Sambhar powder||1 & 1/2 tsp|
|Curry leaves||1 sprig|
|Jeera (optional)||1 tsp|
- Chop the onions finely, add the chopped onions,turmeric,sambhar powder,salt,curry leaves to the flour and mix well.
- Add water (for me it consumed 1/2 cup plus little more) and make a smooth dough. Divide into six equal sized balls.
- Take a polythene film over a platform and grease it with few drops of oil. Flatten the dough ball with hands into a little bit thicker than roti.
- Heat a flat pan,drizzle with oil and toast the adai both the sides in medium flame till golden brown spot appears.
- Serve hot with raitha of your choice…my mom makes a raita with golden fried onions+curd,seasoned with mustard,urad dal and curry leaves. The best combo for this adai.
I dint add jeera. You can also add the onions to the adai after sautéing it. Also you can add a chopped tomato,after frying it… Replace sambar powder with 1 tsp of red chilli powder and 1/2 tsp dhaniya (coriander) powder. Apt for dinner!
Entry for the Festive food-His cooking event :
VERMICELLI UPMAI some how made him cook this upma for me this weekend,to send entry to Priti’s event. He was more than happy and made this for me!
Even he got too enthusiastic and made semiya kesari too as additional treat for me .
|Green chilli||2 nos.|
|Water||1 & 1/4 cup|
|Urad dal||1/2 tsp|
|Channa dal||1 tsp|
|Curry leaves||1 sprig|
- Roast semiya with a tsp of oil and fry till just the semiya turns golden yellow here and there.
- Heat a pan with oil and season with the items given under To temper table.Add sliced onion and green chillies,fry till transparent.
- Then add water and bring it to boil,add the vermicelli. Add salt and mix well. Cook covered in low flame for 4-5 minutes.
- Add coconut oil few drops if you like. I had with chutney,my hubby likes with curd and sugar.