Paal kozhukattai is one of my hubby’s favourite sweets. I hardly remember the way my mom used to make this sweet,also I was not fond of this before marriage. After we came here to Singapore,when we go yearly to my in-laws place,my MIL made this sweet twice or thrice especially for her son(for me too..hehe). Her way of making is very different and I am determined to learn it from her,when she makes it next time. This recipe is one I tried from Prema’s Cookbook, which never fails and my hubby loves this version equally as his mom’s.
|Idiyappam flour/rice flour||1 cup|
|Coconut milk powder||50 gms pack|
|Water||2 & 1/2 cup|
|Milk+ water||1/2 cup + 1 cup|
|cardamom powder||2 pinches|
|Sesame oil||4 tsp|
- Take a non stick pan and mix milk,1 cup water,ghee and the rice flour (add a pinch of salt if u r using rice flour,i used store bought idiyappam flour and it had salt in it, so dint add).
- Heat this in medium flame with constant stirring until the water evaporates and forms a dough.
- Add 4 tsp sesame oil now and knead the dough. The dough should have got cooked almost and this can be confirmed if the dough is non-sticky. (Dont cook in high flame,cook in medium flame as this will make sure that the dough gets cooked)
- Keep covered and take your convenient portions little by little and make tiny balls of desired size. I made it in size of seedai as mentioned in prema’s blog.
- Now take 2 cups of water in a heavy bottomed vessel and heat it until lukewarm. Add the 1/4th of the coconut milk powder to get a thin milk. Mix well without lumps. Bring to boil.(Be careful,it may overflow now)
- Add the rolled tiny rice balls in two parts. Add half of the balls and wait until the milk boils again and again add the remaining balls.
- Boil in medium flame for 3 minutes or until the balls float on the top. By now the milk would have gone thicker.
- Add cardamom powder,sugar and mix well until it gets dissolved.
- Take remaining 1/2 cup water and heat it until lukewarm. Add the remaining coconut milk powder and mix well to get thick milk. Put off the stove and add this thick milk and mix well.
- Serve hot or chilled as per your wish and enjoy this delightful sweet.