I love one of the chutney they give in ‘Murugan Idly Shop’,not sure what chutney is that,but once when we went there with my Inlaw and asked my FIL any ideas about the chutney,he told its brinjal chutney. I really love that flavour of mustard and coconut in that chutney. The only sole reason for me going to Murugan idly shop is that chutney,yummy! I always find chance to try that chutney at home and recreate the taste.. I have tried only very few time and still trying… I took a lovely,pretty looking aubergine(brinjals always look lovely and pretty for me) to try this chutney. I tried smoking the brinjal directly in the stove and tried this chutney. Since I smoked it,the smoky smell was dominating this time than the mustard or coconut in the chutney. So I thought next time I will try the way as here and see the result. Still,this smell was very unique and good too, my hubby who doesn’t like brinjal(he can eat if its not in its texture) like this very much as the brinjal is ground and only the smoky smell was dominating than the brinjal smell.
|Big round brinjal/Aubergine||1 no.|
|Red chillies||7 – 8 nos.|
|Tamarind||1/2 tsp,tightly packed|
|Mustard (big variety)||3/4 tblsp|
|Coconut,scraped||2 – 3 tblsp|
|Coconut oil||2 tsp|
|Curry leaves||1 sprig|
- Brush/apply oil over the washed brinjal evenly everywhere. Pierce a rod to the brinjal and roast it in direct flame every where evenly. You have to rotate the brinjal now and then for even roasting. Keep the flame in medium always.
- After the skin of the brinjal gets blackened and the brinjal gets cooked completely remove from fire and cool down.(the pierced rod will not hold the brinjal anymore after the brinjal gets cooked,so you can take it as reference point)
- Peel off the skin,if you have roasted evenly and the brinjal is done cooking,then removing the skin will be very easy. If not cooked well,the skin will not come that so easy.
- Roast mustard and red chillies until mustard splutters.Add the coconut and give it a stir till nice aroma comes.
- First grind the red chillies and tamarind and then add brinjal,coconut,mustard,salt and just give it a spin. The mustard should be just ground in to one and two.Add required water while grinding.
- Heat oil and season with curry leaves and asafoetida and mix well. Serves best with Idly or dosa.