This sambar is a perfect side dish for Idli,pongal and dosa too..I make this very often and now hooked to this recipe standardly,as my kid always wants sambar for idly/dosa.. I like it best with pongal .
|Moong dal/paasi paruppu||1/3 cup|
|Green chillies||2 nos.|
|Tamarind extract||1 tblsp|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 tsp|
|Coriander leaves,chopped||2 tblsp|
|Salt and water||as needed|
|Channa dal/kadalai paruppu||1 &1/2 tblsp|
|Coriander seeds||1 & 1/2 tsp|
|Dry red chilli||3-4 nos|
|Fenugreek seeds||1/2 tsp|
|Curry leaves||1 sprig|
- Pressure cook dal for 3 whistles,mash and keep aside.Chop onion,vegetables,,tomatoes,slit green chillies.
- Heat kadai/pan with oil/ghee and temper with the items given under ‘To temper’ table in order.
- Add onion and fry till transparent. Add the vegetables and tomato together and fry in medium flame for 2 minutes.Add little salt while frying for easy cooking of the vegetables.
- Add required water and the tamarind and boil till the vegetables get cooked.Add the curry leaves,coriander leaves,salt, asafoetida and jaggery. Lastly add the sambar powder and bring to boil.
- Add the cooked dal and mix well.Adjust water as needed to get a sambar consistency. Bring to boil and garnish with coriander leaves.