When I posted keerai poriyal recipe, the background item ‘sambar sadam’ was catchy to some of you. Special effort from Sharmi to post this recipe for sambar sadam,as she always asked me to post it soon and if I ever not post this now,she would squeeze my neck.I do nothing special,I almost make similar to arachuvitta sambar and mix it with cooked rice and dal,that's it..
Sambar Sadam recipe Raks kitchen South Indian Lunch
To roast and grind to coarse powder
Prep Time: 15 mins | Cook time: 20 mins | Serves: 2
|Toor dal||1/3 cup|
|Mixed veggies or vegetable of your choice||As needed|
|Shallots/small onion,peeled||1/2 cup|
|Sambar powder(ready made)||1/2 tsp|
|Curry leaves||1 sprig|
|Coriander leaves,chopped||2 tblsp|
|Red chillies,long variety||4|
|Channa dal||1 tblsp|
|Coriander seeds||1 & 1/2 tsp|
|Fenugreek seeds||1/4 tsp|
- Cook rice and dal,extract tamarind juice and keep aside. I cook rice and dal separately as I do not like rice get mashed too much(which will happen if we cook together rice and dal). So If you want you can cook both together too.
- Heat kadai and roast to golden brown,the ingredients under ‘To roast and grind table’ with a tsp of ghee/oil except coconut. Roast coconut separately.
- Cool down and grind to coarse powder and keep a side.
- Heat kadai and temper with the items given under ‘to temper’ table. Add curry leaves followed by onion,slit green chillies and fry till the onions start to turn golden.
- Add the tomatoes and fry till soft.
- Add the tamarind extract,bring to boil. Add the turmeric,sambar powder,asafoetida and the chopped veggies.
- When the vegetables get cooked,add jaggery,the ground sambar powder and bring to boil.
- Add the sambar powder gradually while stirring,as there are chances of forming lumps.
- Add this to the cooked rice.I used a pot shaped pressure cooker for making sambar rice. Add the mashed dal and mix well with out mashing the veggies. Add hot water if its too thick. I just mix under low flame for 2 minutes.
- Let the sambar rice be in a loose consistency. After cooled down, it tends to get thick,so let the consistency be according to that.Top with 2 tsp ghee and coriander leaves,serve hot with simply potato chips(best combo) or any other veggie accompaniment.