An excellent way to make kids eat the vegetables as snack. You can make the pre-preparation and freeze/refrigerate too.So this is a nice idea to use this as birthday party recipe. While making in bulk,its better to deep fry as pan frying will be time consuming.
How to make cutlet video
INGREDIENTS: (Makes 12 pieces as shown in the picture)
|mixed veggies||1/2 cup|
|Garam masala||3/4 tsp|
|red chilli powder||1 tsp|
|Coriander leaves,chopped||4 tbsp|
|Bread crumbs||1/2 cup|
- Pressure cook potato in a vessel and other chopped veggies together in another vessel for three whistles. Just sprinkle a tsp of water in the chopped veggies,that is enough. For potato just cut into 4 and add little water.
- Peel off the skin and mash the potato and add other veggies to it. Make sure there is no water.
- Tear the bread pieces and crumble it by grinding in a mixer.This step can be skipped and you can directly add to the veggies as well. But I prefer this way for even mixing.
- Add it to the veggies along with garam masala,red chilli,salt and coriander leaves and mix together.
- Make a thick paste(like idly dosa batter consistency) out of maida and water. Make equal and desired shapes out of the veggies and set a side,I made it simple and round. Dip it in the maida paste one by one.
- Quickly take it out and coat both sides with the bread crumbs. Repeat the process for the rest and arrange in plate.
- If you are pan frying then just drizzle with some oil over a hot non stick pan and arrange 4 at a time and cook in a medium flame both sides,until crisp.
Enjoy hot with tomato sauce/ketchup with tea/coffee/cool drinks.
- If in case the vegetable mixture is too sticky, add gram flour to make it stiff.
- Make sure not to over cook the veggies, otherwise it will retain water and become gooey.
- Adding cauliflower gives nice flavour to the cutlets. Adding beetroot give nice colour.
- Deep frying gives a good look with even cooking of the outer layer.
- You can add gram flour/kadalai maavu in place of the bread crumbs in the mixing part along with the veggies. But for coating dry bread crumbs are best.
- You can make bread crumbs by sun drying bread for some time until it turns crisp and powder in a mixer. Also you can try micro waving the bread slices.