We call this “Vegetable Biryani” in our home. As far as I know, my mom makes rarely biryani and my mom in law never makes biryani! They dont use cinnamon,cloves,fennel,bay leaves in their cooking. Till now my MIL hates those masalas… But after I came here to SG I started experimenting and started using these masalas and my kid loves it! My kid started eating biryani at the age of 2 and he used to eat only biryani most of the days that time!! I too am used in handling all these masalas now a days …
And coming to this vegetable biryani recipe, I always make each time a different way or follow a recipe for a while and then get bored of that and keep changing the recipe now and then. So once when I had this biryani in Jeyashri’s home, me and my kid loved it a lot and being food bloggers, I asked for the recipe and she too shared,then for a while now I am hooked to this recipe. I made this last week when my SIL visited us and the kids enjoyed the biryani. So I thought of sharing the recipe too.
|Mixed vegetables*||As needed|
|Sambar powder/red chilli powder||1/2 tsp|
|Coriander leaves||2 stems|
|Basmati Rice||1 cup|
|Green chillies||3 – 4|
|Garlic (big variety)||4|
|Fennel seeds||3/4 – 1 tsp|
|Oil or ghee||2 – 3 tblsp|
- Soak the rice for at least 1/2 an hour. Grind the items given under ‘to grind’ table with little water to a smooth paste.
- Chop the veggies to your desired size.Slice the onion. Heat a cooker with oil/ghee and add the items given under ‘To Temper’ table in order.
- Add onions and fry just transparent. Add the ground masala.
- Add sambar powder and fry in medium flame for 2 minutes.Add the veggies except cauliflower.
- Fry for 2 minutes and add the drained,soaked rice. Give it a stir.
- Add 1 and 1/2 cups water,salt and mix well. Check for salt and bring to boil.Add the cauliflower at this stage and mix well and cover with the lid.
- Keep the flame in lowest possible. Cook for 8-10 minutes,give a gentle stir in between. If you want to pressure cook with whistle,then give 2 whistles in medium flame.
- Top with ghee and coriander leaves and serve hot with onion raita!
| Variations you can make:|