I tasted kadappa first time in my hostel mess in Trichy. That time I used to hate that. Then once after marriage my MIL made I totally developed taste for it,may be the way she made it, changed my taste. Though she avoids fennel in her recipe,I tried adding fennel and bay leaves in addition to the way she makes and the result was really awesome! I just love the flavour and makes a great combo with idly. Hubby doesn't like fennel at all,so I avoid it most of the times, still will add whenever I get a chance…
|Moong Dal/Paasi paruppu||1/4 cup|
|Lemon Juice||From 1/2 of a lemon|
|Coconut oil(optional)||1 tsp,garnish|
|Coriander leaves(optional)||For garnish|
|Fennel seeds/Saunf/Soambu||1 tsp|
|Curry leaves||1 sprig|
- Pressure cook potato and moong dal.Peel the potatoes,mash it and mash the moong dal too.
- Slice onion and green chillies.Grind coconut,fennel and garlic with water to a smooth paste.
- Heat a pan with oil and temper with the items given under" ‘To temper’ table. Add onion,green chillies and fry until onion turns just transparent,do not let it change its colour.
- Add 2 cups water,salt and boil for 3 minutes. Add the mashed dal and potatoes.Mix well, bring to boil.
- Keep in low flame as after adding dal and potato it easy gets burnt at the bottom,so keep stirring. add the Ground masala,mix well and cook in low flame for 1 or two minutes.