You all wont believe that I have not ever tasted vada pav till I made it myself this time and tasted. Even I had a thought that they keep Urad vada inside the pav buns and that’s the vada pav. Now I know its like south Indian potato bonda sandwiched between pav buns Then I referred Tarla dalal site, also googled and partially adapted recipe from here too.
|For Outer covering|
|Besan flour||1/4 cup|
|Rice flour||1 tblsp|
|Cooking soda||A pinch|
|Red chilli powder||1 – 2 tsp|
|Garlic||10 – 12 flakes|
|Mint or coriander leaves||1 small bunch|
|Lemon Juice||from 1 lemon|
- Pressure cook potatoes,peel off the skin and mash it.Chop garlic and green chillies finely.
- Heat oil in a pan and season with the items given under the “To temper” table.Add garlic, green chillies, turmeric,salt and give it a fry. Add the mashed potato and mix well. Stir fry for two minutes.
- Cool down and divide into 6 and make balls.
- Make a thick batter with gram flour,rice flour,turmeric and salt,adding little water.
- Heat a paniyaram pan or kadai with oil for deep frying. Coat the potato balls with the besan batter and fry them until golden brown in all the sides.
- Drain in paper towel.
- To arrange the vada and pav , slit the buns to two,leaving one side still in contact.Apply green and red chutneys in the inner sides of the buns.
- Keep the vada we made and close the bun. Enjoy the big bite :)