My grandma is an expert in making these “Kai murukku”. She makes it so fast and its will look so elegant when she makes it with ease. My mom too makes kai murukku, but both their style differs a lot. I always loved watching them making it for Gokulashtami. I used to sit and hear all those stories and gossips they both used to talk. My paati also makes murukku in shapes of some small kolams specially for me. They will be so so cute.These home made kai murukkus are so different in flavour and taste than we buy from the shops. I love this home made murukkus for its flavour and unique taste.
I always try my hands in making these murukku when ever I make thenkuzhal or other murukku with little dough reserved for this. Last year for diwali I tried with small portions, but I could not make it thin and hence ended up in chewy and hard murukkus. But this time, I took the recipe from my mom and made this with freshly ground rice flour and indeed got perfect taste,just like my paati/amma’s murukku. By posting this recipe here with video,by no means I am claiming I had learnt making this in a perfect way. Just posting what ever I made/learnt/got. I am sure by practice I can make perfect murukkus,not only in taste but in shapes too very soon.
- For one cup rice I got approximately 2 cups of flour.
- Frying urad adds flavour to the murukku.
- Updated: I added less urad dal flour (2 tblsp) and butter instead of ghee and found the murukku came out whiter and crispier.
- I used black sesame,you can also use white. You can replace ghee with butter.
- If your dough breaks while making murukku,just sprinkle little water to make it pliable.
- Warning: For the first batch, drop the murukku and check if it bursts. Some times this also bursts. I had some bad luck when I was studying 12th std and was trying to help my mom and ended up some hot oil spills over my face and neck. Just a warning to be careful. Not that it will !! Also never ever roll the remaining dough like seedai and put it in oil, it will sure burst.
Kai murukku video
Sure by practice I hope to make the swirls perfect in future .