I recently became a fan of this Mysore bonda AKA Ulundu bonda. I tasted this in my periyamma’s house. Actually I helped her in making this bonda,while she kept ready the batter ground. We made in large numbers and I totally loved making balls (that too bigger size bondas) and deep frying them in a big kadai…… and a big laddle……,fun!!. Its crisp out and soft inside,love the coconut bits the best in this one. Yesterday I ground batter for vadai for aadi perukku and decided to make bondas in the evening and post it here in my blog!
Ingredients: ( Makes around 15-18 bondas)
|Urad dal(whole)/Vellai muzhu ulundu||1/2 cup heaped|
|Fresh coconut bits||2 tblsp|
|Black pepper||1 tblsp|
|Coriander & curry leaves||chopped-2 tblsp|
|Rice flour||1-2 tsp|
|Oil||To deep fry|
- Soak urad dal for 2-3 hours and grind with less water until fluffy and smooth.
- Add chopped coconut bits,salt,asafoetida,coriander/curry leaves,rice flour,black pepper and mix well.
- Heat oil in kadai and keep a small bowl of water to grease your hand,grease ur hand well with water and make small desired sized balls.
- Drop in oil carefully. Lower the flame and cook both sides until golden in colour. When you turn over to cook the other side,you can keep the flame in medium high. Just make sure the inside gets cooked. For this you have to cook slowly.
- Drain in paper towel and enjoy the hot, crisp bondas!
We had it with coconut chutney, which is the best combo!