This is one of my old posts, I posted the recipes for sweet and uppu/ ulundu kozhukattai recipes together. The post is too long with all the pictures and two videos. So I thought of updating everything as separate posts, so that it will be easy to browse. Ulundu kozhukattai is my favourite and when we eat sweet and uppu kozhukattai alternatively, it will taste heavenly. Ulundu kozhukattai is very flavourful, as well as healthy. Here is how my mom/MIL makes this.
INGREDIENTS(enough for 25 kozhukattais)
|Urad dal||1/2 cup|
|Green chillies||4-5 nos.|
|Grated coconut||1/2 cup|
|Mustard||For seasoning 1 tsp|
|Curry leaves||1 sprig|
INGREDIENTS FOR OUTER LAYER
|Idiyappam flour||1 cup|
|Water||1 &1/3 cup,or as needed|
|Sesame oil||1 tsp|
Yes, the readymade idiyappam flour available at grocery stores is the handy and best for the kozhukattai outer layer..and the result is a very soft kozhukatais.
- Boil water with oil(add salt if the flour doesn't have salt in it..mine had salt in it so I dint add any salt)
- Take the flour in a broad vessel.
- Add the boiling water little by little and mix with the help of a ladle.
- Let it cool for about 5 min ,it may be warm, still knead with your hands to make a smooth dough.The consistency should be like our chapatti dough...non sticky..
- Keep covered till you use to prevent drying.
Your stuffing is ready and use a spoon to fill it in the kozhukattais.
HOW TO MAKE KOZHUKATTAI VIDEO
Soft and moist kozhukattais will be ready by steaming them in a greased idli plates for 5-8 minutes!