This week its breakfast menu. Rather than breakfast menu, I would say its a breakfast idea as there is not much in it to call it as menu. But Appam by itself is very heavy for breakfast with coconut milk. As I have mentioned before, this lunch menu and breakfast menu series all about re visiting my old recipes. So this week it is this breakfast with appam, vegetable stew and coconut milk with jaggery. My whole family loves this, though not the vegetable stew, we always have it with coconut milk. And as this is heavy, or may be I don't know the reason - it could be the coconut milk or the cooking soda may be, it gives us a sleepy feeling. We call it as sleeping dose. Yes, we feel sleepy when we have it for breakfast :) So here is a quick explanation how I prepared this breakfast.
Breakfast menu 3 (South Indian breakfast recipes)Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category: Breakfast
Prep Time: 12 hrs | Cook time: 40 mins | Serves: 4
- Soak for appam around 2 pm the before day. Grind it around 5.30 or 6.00 pm and prepare the dough. Keep overnight for fermentation.
- Next day, first grate coconut for coconut milk and the vegetable stew. Prepare coconut milk as required. I used readymade coconut cream powder for stew and only made fresh for sweet coconut milk. You can also grate the coconut before day and keep in frozen to make it easy.
- Cut vegetables, onion, ginger for stew. Prepare sweet coconut milk with jaggery(or sugar), elachi.
- Prepare vegetable stew. I used only carrot, potato and baby beans. You can make only with potato too. It turns out delicious.
- Lastly prepare appam just before serving. Appam cookes very fast, so you can make hot for your family when ever they sit for having breakfast.
Breakfast with appam, vegetable stew and sweetened coconut milk.
Please check out the recipes here.
Any coconut based kurma also goes well with appam like tomato kurma or mixed veg kurma.
Have a great weekend! :)