For a while, I was ignoring the vazhaipoo (banana blossom) in Mustafa. I think what we get in Mustafa is from Malaysia and I found the in Laavan is from India and its so very different from the Malaysian vazhaipoo. Most of the time I buy and cook it within one or two days, otherwise it will be turning black. I make poriyal to make use of the big flower in one time. This time somehow craving for vazhaipoo vadai and its been a long time since I made vadai, so decided to make vadai and post it in lunch menu too. Since vazhaipoo cleaning and cutting process involves time, I made a simple menu, but a catch one, since it has vadai and these cute baby potato fry in it .
Lunch menu 36 - Vazhaipoo vadai, Sambar, curryRecipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Category: Lunch
Prep Time: 2 Hr | Cook time: 1 Hr | Serves: 3
- Soak dal for vadai as soon as you finish your breakfast work.
- Pressure cook dal, baby potatoes in a pressure cooker if you have two separator containers. You can keep rice once this is done. Soak tamarind for sambar.
- Mean while you can start the cleaning and chopping of vazhaipoo. Since we are gonna use the outer part and only half of it, its wont take too much time. Keep it immersed in water with lemon juice or buttermilk until use.
- Clean and prepare broad beans for sambar, keep aside.
- Chop onion for sambar, vadai, a tomato for sambar and extract tamarind for sambar. Peel the potatoes and keep ready. Keep all other ingredients like curry leaves too ready.
- First prepare sambar and while it boils, prepare small potato curry. Sambar will take a while until curry gets ready as broad beans takes some time to get cooked.
- Lastly, you can prepare vadai and keep ready before serving the lunch.
Serve avarakkai sambar, baby potato curry, vazhaipoo vadai along with rice and end your meal with buttermilk to keep yourself cool in this summer.
Check out the links.
- Avaraikai / broad beans sambar (Coming up next)
- Small potato curry recipe
- Vazhaipoo / banana flower vadai recipe