Eggless soft buns with nigella seeds and cumin seeds for flavour. Learn how to make homemade eggless buns with step by step pictures and video.
I had this bun last year in SQ and really loved the flavours of cumin seeds and nigella seeds (kalonji seeds) in the bun. I wanted to try it out at home. I have never bought or used kalonji seeds in my cooking so far. If a recipe calls for it, I usually skip it. But just to try the seeds in my cooking I got this. Its been few months since I bought it. I once used in achari paneer that’s it. After that used it in these nigella seeds bun.
For baking buns successfully, good quality, active yeast is very important, otherwise, your buns wont be golden or smell good. So, buy fresh stock of yeast. I have used active dry yeast here, you can use instant yeast too, but the procedure is different. Instant yeast is needed less than active dry yeast and proofing step is not required if we use instant yeast. Instant yeast can be directly added to flour.
Check out the full video on how to make soft eggless pull apart buns with jeera and cumin seeds.
This can be made with wheat flour in equal portion too if you want. You can bake and have it along with soup or pack for your kid sback box or even have it for breakfast with butter. Kids would love this as snack with butter too.
Step by step pictures:
- Heat milk to make it luke warm. Add sugar and yeast to it and stir to completely dissolve the yeast. Keep aside for 10 mins. It will turn frothy and raise little. This means yeast is active. If not, discard this and start over with good quality active dry yeast. I added salt to the mixture but recently heard salt can kill certain yeast. So better to mix with flour.
- In a mixing bowl, mix salt, flour and make a dent. Mix oil with the yeast mixture and add it to the dent. Add cumin seeds and half the kalonji seeds. (I very slightly roasted both cumin and kalonji, not much though)
- Make a dough out of it by kneading well for 5 minutes. Oil the surface of the dough and keep it covered with a cling wrap or damp cloth. After an hour, the dough should have risen well, double the volume before. Punch it down and knead again for 5 minutes.
- Divide into 8 equal sized balls, arrange in a well greased 6.5 inch round baking pan.
- Keep aside for 10 mins and preheat the oven at 190 deg C. After 10 mins, the buns would have risen little more.
- Brush generously with milk. Sprinkle the rest of the kalonji seeds over the buns.
- Bake for 17- 20 mins or until golden crust is formed on the top. Mine took 18 mins.
- Take it out and brush generously with butter while it is hot. Loosen the sides by running a bread knife along the sides.
- Invert over a wire rack carefully. If the buns are baked properly, it should come out easily without sticking to the bottom.