Masala poha, a spicy poha recipe (flattened rice) with vegetables added to it. Serve with chopped onion, sev, coriander leaves and lemon juice for extra tasty snack or breakfast.
I wanted to try vegetable poha for long time. Yesterday was feeling like having something other than rice for lunch also that should have vegetables. I easily skip vegetable intake and have just carbs. So slowly changing my habits to include vegetables too. Initially wanted to make it simple like vegetable upma in south Indian style. But have seen the youtube videos in which they show the road side poha being made with masala powders and served with sev, onion, coriander leaves, lemon juice topped and served. Though the masala powders are not added this much and it is totally different in taste, I thought of adding some spice powders and make it this way. Turned out really tasty, just the way I wanted to be.
- Wash and soak poha in warm water. Add turmeric and salt to it and mix. Keep aside for 10 mins. Water has to be just in poha’s level.
- In a pan, heat oil, splutter mustard, add cumin, followed by slit green chilli and finely chopped onion, fry till transparent.
- Add chopped vegetables. Add sugar, salt (for vegetables) and fry for 2 minutes in medium flame.
- Add all masala powders and give it a mix.
- Add poha, mix well.
- Cook covered for 3-5 minutes. Stir in between once.