Sago payasam recipe - Javvarisi or sabudana with sugar, milk in pressure cooker method. Full video and step by step post.
Last year, I got a mail from my reader (Amirthavarshini) after I shared my sago payasam with jaggery video when I updated my old post with video. She mailed her mom's method of making sago payasam by roasting and pressure cooking the sago for payasam instead of soaking it. I then realized my mom also never used to soak sago but roast sago to make payasam. So wanted to try sago payasam with sugar and in pressure cooker. I tried this pressure cooker method for Tamil new year and turned out perfect. I used jaggery and coconut milk the other day, but thought since my blog has already sago payasam with jaggery, will post this sago payasam with sugar this time.
When it comes to sago payasam, Vj loves it a lot and I don't need to worry who will finish it. So made this and shot for posting here.
Step by step pictures
- Heat a small pressure cooker with ghee, roast cashews and set aside).
- In the same ghee, add sago and roast in low or medium flame for 2-3 minutes until you see the sago popping here and there.
- Add water carefully and salt. Pressure cook for 6 whistles in medium flame. Once pressure is released, open and give 2 minutes standing time.
- Stir in sugar, bring to boil.
- Add milk (I used boiled, cooled milk) and boil for 2 minutes.
- Garnish with cardamom powder and roasted cashews.