Paruppu vadai or dal vada, made with chana dal and a little urad dal. A crisp, flavourful treat inspite the fact it has no masala or garlic. Simplest recipe which you can make without onion too. With full video and step by step pictures.
As I have already told in my masala vada post, masala vada is totally new to me in making with masala items like fennel (soambu), cinnamon, garlic, ginger, garam masala, mint leaves, etc. My MIL and mom makes a simplest paruppu vadai which has no so many ingredients, yet it is really flavourful and tasty in its own way. So yesterday I asked my MIL how she makes paruppu vadai and made that way. Its been a long time I made paruppu vadai or masala vadai. So when I followed this simple and easiest method, it turned out very tasty and flavourful.
How to make paruppu vadai video
Step by step pictures
- First soak chana dal and urad dal for 3 hours.
- Grind red chilli and salt coarsely before adding soaked dal.
- Next add the soaked dal, drained from water. Grind coarsely. No excess water needed.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl. Add chopped onion, carrot, curry leaves, asafoetida, cumin seeds. Mix well. Water your hands slightly, take small lemon sized balls
- Flatten over your palm.
- Heat oil in kadai until hot and drop the shaped vada in oil. You can fry 4-5 at a time depending on the size and oil level.
- Cook in medium flame until golden. Flip in between so that both sides are evenly golden and crisp. Repeat to finish. Drain over paper towels.
Tags: How to make paruppu vadai,paruppu vadai recipe,dal vada